I was out for breakfast one day catching up with a family member I hadn’t seen in a while. Usually when I go out for breakfast I get the same thing, egg whites, avacado, and wheat toast. Exciting, I know. The funny thing, that’s pretty much what I’ve been eating for breakfast at home for the past 2 years. Creatures of habit we are.
I said to myself, “Self! We are going to live it up today! A tomato, basil, and mozzarella egg white omlet it is!” (side of fruit, no toast or potatoes) I was so glad that self decided to be different, because this has been my new go to in the morning. Packed with protein and low carb.
I am so fortunate that my husband is into gardening. Even though I really have nothing to do with the growing and caretaking, I do enjoy the fruits of his labor. All kidding aside, if I wanted to grow a veggie garden myself, it really isn’t all that difficult. I’m managing to keep my lemon tree alive for now. But, if there were 2 things I absolutely had to plant, it would be tomatoes and basil hands down! Nothing beats a garden tomato and the smell of fresh sweet basil in the house. No comparison to store bought.
- 1 cup of eggs whites. I personally like the whites from actual eggs but liquid whites will do just fine.
- 1 tomato diced.
- 2-3 leaves of fresh basil chopped.
- A handful of shredded mozzarella.
- Sea salt and pepper to taste.
Heat a small omlet pan on low heat, making sure to spray the pan first. Pour egg whites into the pan, followed by sprinkling in your tomatoes and basil, topping off with the shredded mozzarella.
Now here’s the tricky part,,,the flip. Don’t worry, you got this. If I can do it, anyone can. Let the edges form a bit. With a cooking spatula (I love fish spatulas, especially for omlets), edge around your omlet loosening it a bit off the pan. If it’s not runny, fold your omlet over with the spatula. Let it cook about a minute or so on each side. Egg whites cook fast, so this will be done in no time.
Another thing you can make with caprese omlet ingedients are mini omlets! These are so cute. This is an awesome meal prep idea, perfect for busy mornings. I make these with my Pampered Chef Brownie Pan. Yes, it’s not just for brownies. I keep these tucked away in the fridge for those hunger stikes that creep up on me. It makes a healthy snack or even an awesome brunch dish. Either way, you can’t go wrong. Bring these to your next brunch outing, I promise they will go fast.
- Preheat oven @ 350
- Spray the brownie pan.
- Fill each cups 1/2 way with your egg whites, then sprinkle in the rest. You will likely have to double up on diced tomatoes, chopped basil, and mozzarella when using the pan.
- Bake for about 10-12 muntes until the tops become a little golden.
- Let cool before removing yje mimi omlets from the pan.
- Again, edge around each omlet with a small spatuala to loosen from the pan.
- The beauty of this pan is they come right out. Easy, peasy.
And If anyone needs a Pampered Chef consultant to grab one of these pans or any other PC product, contact my beautiful friend Angela. She is amazing and knows her stuff.